It takes skill to offend Tony Hawk in 3 questions or less. I got mad skillz.

Over the weekend I did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned a hamster cage, went to a friends pool party and oh yeah…interviewed Tony Hawk.

Thaaaaaat’s right people, I had a chance to sit down with the skateboard god and ask him a few questions.

So here is the video. A few disclaimers….what sounds like heavy breathing on my part is the mic’s fault. For some reason it decided to get my heavy breathing more than Tony’s voice. Oh but wait the interview gets even better …everyone once in a while I stop laughing like a school girl and I say things that offend him. Awesome. Watch and this will all make sense…

Now the real scoop. I was pretty thrilled to get this opportunity, and I think it is wildly cool of Tony to agree to chat with me (and only about 2 others)…but I have to say, he was a difficult interview. I expected a light hearted so-cal skateboard guy. But he was actually very reserved, guarded and well, very corporate. Slap a tie on that t-shirt and he could have been Joe CEO. But that is okay….after all, he runs a huge empire and is basically done more for the sport of skateboarding than Tiger Woods has done for golf. He has helped take it from fringe delinquent hobby to mainstream athletic sport. I guess that changes a guy. Of course with all this corporate-ness has helped him to establish a pretty awesome charitable foundation that builds skate parks in underprivileged areas. So that makes him very cool in my book.

See his hand on my shoulder in the photo?

Pretty sure he was getting ready to strangle me.

Thanks Tony. I promise next time I will be nicer.

Watch some more of Marcy’s heavy breathing interviewing skills here.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Lucretia Pruitt July 25, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Arggh… can’t watch the video until later… can’t wait to see it. (And find out how you managed to offend him!)

It doesn’t surprise me that he’s not a “laid-back boarder dude” – I also am fairly sure I recall someone saying that they had done Media Training with him. The guy is a smart guy. It’s also way awesome that he does all that he does to give back to the community.

Thanks for posting. Can’t wait to see the vid!

Lindsay @ Just My Blog July 26, 2010 at 4:13 am

How cool! I can’t see the video until I get home from work but it’s just really cool that you got to interview Tony Hawk! And I’m really surprised he’s not a SoCal surfer guy. It just doesn’t seem right!

Jen B July 26, 2010 at 9:58 am

Enjoyed the interview.. ironic safety question considering he’s now injured!

foolery July 26, 2010 at 10:24 am

I’ll watch later when, um, the office clears out. What a great opportunity, though!

foolery July 26, 2010 at 5:03 pm

No, you didn’t offend him too badly. I think he got that you’re a parent and you are safety-conscious! He’s a big boy and he handled it well. But you forgot to say that he’s cute! Damn, I would’ve been batting my lashes and simpering like a love-struck tween. Nice interview.

mtb4life July 26, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Should have taken your bro. The old school skate boarder that could have held the camera or something and I guarentee he would have been cool to you!

PB Scott July 29, 2010 at 1:26 am

I don’t think you really offended him, he is sitting pretty relaxed and laid back and cool, and I think Tony handled the interview very well, since it seemed to be given to him on the fly. Tony makes very good points about skateboarding, it is only as dangerous as you decide to make it.

The very fact he had this first major injury that I know of after doing the sport extremely hard core for 30+ years just goes to show the way he handles the sport, for him, who is not of usually human abilities, has not been overly dangerous. Sounds like he will be all healed up soon and taking life more easily.

From the interview I take it you have never sat in awe watching him defy gravity as he does, and have not skateboarded enough to know he has almost superhero status with skaters, and a seasoned expert on performing the impossible.

Get better Tony Hawk, take it easy and take up Surfing or something for your golden years, water hurts a bit less than concrete.

mark January 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm

You have a nice set of tits id love to motor boat those mom jugs.